Thursday, October 16, 2008

October delight...

October is a crazy busy month for us.

My husband is trying to finish his exterior painting,

and

I'm frantically trying to get as much of my painting finished

to hold me through the winter.


In the craziness of it all,

I'm trying to enjoy some of my fall favorites.


I just love these last roses:

how they crinkle around the edges as they dry.

I just can't bear to prune right now,

cause when they're gone,

they're gone for a looong time.


A favorite treat-reminds me of my dear Grammy.


Yes, that's a Sunday afternoon football game.

Don't be shocked.
It's perfect

For...


NAPS!


There is nothing like the crowd noise to put me right to sleep!

One of my fall favorites!

Warm gingerbread with whipped cream...

Yumm!

Gingerbread

1 1/2 c. flour

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

4 tsp. ginger

1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

1/4 tsp allspice

1/2 c. unsalted butter

1/2 c. brown sugar

2 eggs

2/3 c. molasses

2/3 c. buttermilk

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract


Grease and flour 9" baking pan~Preheat oven to 350~In a bowl, stir together dry ingred.~In another bowl, cream (med speed) butter and br. sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after ea. Beat in molasses.~Add dry inged. in 2 increments, alternating with buttermilk and vanilla.~Beat well until fluffy and smooth yet thick.

Spoon batter into pan and spread evenly.

Bake until top is dry to touch and cake pulls away from sides of the pan, 35-40 min. Transfer pan to wire rack and let cool 30 min.

Have a lovely fall day,

Rene'


9 comments:

sherry said...

I love the glimpses of your home and life, Rene. :o)

I also love the cabinet your tv is in - and the cake plate - and the nap plan - and the gingerbread recipe. Thank you!

cherished*vintage said...

Hi Rene'! I love your kind of Fall day. We love candy corn but never have had them mixed with peanuts. I'm gonna have to try that - looks yummy! Gingerbread with whip cream is one of my hubbys favorites. I think that's on the list to make this weekend as well. Thanks for all the inspiration!
-Karoline

ROSE VINE COTTAGE said...

I agree with lady jane, I just love to see your home, it always looks so sweet ,friendly and very cozy to me!! You also made me hungry that gingerbread looks so yummy!
Hugs~Kelly

gayle said...

Hi I'll be right over...the gingerbread looks like it's still warm! MMMMM...time for something sweet!!!

vintage girl at heart said...

YUM!!! Happy Fall!!!!

Pink Slippers said...

I bet watching football is not too bad when its inside that beautiful cabinet. I too love looking at pictures of your home and daily thingies.
Wendy

Grace said...

what beautiful roses! hope you're enjoying your monday! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh boy! Football=Naps. Now I get it!!! Gingerbread looks yummy. I love the cupboard your tv is in too. Sigh.

Cindy@Cutepinkstuff said...

Sounds delicious? Have you ever tried warm applesauce over gingerbread? My neighbor told me its yummy. I must try it now that I have a gingerbread recipe! BTW, should I grease the pan?