Friday, August 14, 2009

summer delight...

I posted recipe this last summer-
It's still one of my favorite summer-time treats.

There's time to make it

if

you hurry!
Did anyone try it last summer?

Lemon Meringue Ice Cream



MERINGUE

2 egg whites

1/8 tsp salt

1/3 c. sugar

Put a rack in middle of oven, preheat to 250 F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Beat whites and salt in med. bowl with a mixer at med. speed until whites hold soft peaks.
Add sugar 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating at high speed until meringue holds stiff, glossy peaks, about 1 minute. Spread meringue into a 9in. round (like a blob!) on parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake until firm to touch, about 1 hour. Turn off oven and let meringue stand in oven 1 hour. Transfer meringue (on parchement) to a rack to cool completely.Peel off parchment and, working over a bowl, break meringue into1/2-to1 in. pieces.



ICE CREAM

1 1/2c. heavy cream

1 c. whole milk

3/4c. sugar

4 tsp. finely grated lemon zest

1/8 tsp. salt

6 egg yolks

2/3c. lemon juice

Combine cream, milk, sugar, zest, and salt in 2-3qt. heavy saucepan, bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally.Meanwhile, whisk yolks in med. metal bowl until smooth. Add hot cream mixture to yolks in a slow stream, whisking constantly, then pour back into pan. Cook custard over moderate low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until custard is thick enough to coat back of spoon(170 F). Do not let boil.Pour custard through a fine-mesh sieve into clean metal bowl and stir in lemon juice. Cool custard to room temperature, then refrigerate, covered, until cold, at least 3 hours

Freeze custard in ice cream maker.
Transfer ice cream to bowl and top with meringue.


Yummy!




ENJOY!

Happy Summer Days!

Rene'

7 comments:

Patina said...

It does look yummy Rene'!
I can see why it's a favorite!

Denise said...

OMGosh! That looks so good! And refreshing!

XXDenise

Seawashed said...

That is just too hard to make. I love to cook and bake, but I like simple. It sounds delicious though!

Just a little something from Judy said...

Oh my goodness!! I did not see this last summer...and no, it is not too late to try. I can see why you would have posted this twice.

shelia said...

sounds delightful! going to have to give it a try :)

Sandi said...

This looks delish! Throw some my way please. LOL
Blessings~

Duchess of Tea said...

Mmmmm Yummy, I will try it, I think my daughter as well as the rest of us will love it. Darling I hope you had a lovely weekend. I just stopped by to wish you a sunny day!!

♥ hugs ♥

Duchess