Sunday, December 18, 2011

tis the season...

to be thankful.



Yes, I know we turned the calendar to December
and it is Christmastime.

It is no secret that I struggle with all of the Christmas hoopla.


You know, 
  being the
gift-giving, memory-making, goody-baking, hall-decking, 
Mama 
(and grandmother).
We have double  workloads and are exhausted by it all.
All the while we are trying to see how all of the 
hoopla is connected to the Savior's birth.

  Sounds like a lot of self-imposed expectations, doesn't it?
Yep, it is.


I decided to begin this Christmas season  
just like I ended the last one.
Being thankful.

  • thankful that there really is a reason for the season...
even if I do struggle to see the connect

  • thankful for my grandmother and aunts 
that made Christmas special for me as a child

  • thankful that I have such good memories 
of my children at Christmas time...
and hope they do, too
(even if I was a grumpy mother trying to do too much)

  • thankful that  my children want to 
and 
are ALL coming home for Christmas.

  • thankful for reads like this and this 
 that have given me focus this year.



  • thankful for this simple gift...
I think it is my all-time favorite Christmas gift. ever.



christmas-time feels different this year....

and for that I am thankful, too.

I might  be back tomorrow with a bit of our celebrations
and 
I may 
or 
may  not 
get the rest of my christmas decorations finished.

I'll let you know.


BE THANKFUL~BE MERRY
(these are more of last years decorations)

9 comments:

Leah C said...

I'm so very thankful...a little tired from all the "hoopla", too...but thankful:) Merry Christmas to you & yours!!

marga said...

You say it so beautfull Rene. Sometimes we forget that there are so many things to be thankfull for,thanks for reminding me.
xxx Marga

Privet and Holly said...

Our posts share
a similar theme
this morning.....
Gratitude is such
a gift, especially
in the hoopla that
surrounds the season.
Wishing you a Christmas
full of peace and joy.

xx Suzanne

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I learned several years ago this phrase. Oh I have heard the phrase many times before, but then I really learned it.
"You can only do what you can do!"
Sounds simple...it isn't.
I hope you and your family have an enjoyable Christmas doing whatever it is that you can do. Enjoy the memories!
Merry Christmas!

she dreams big! said...

I feel the same way and I thank you for this post. Wishing you many more things to be thankful for during this holiday season.

Blessed Serendipity said...

Hope you are able to slow down and savor the little things in anticipation for the big thing (our dear Savior's birth). Sending you and your family love and wishes for a happy blessed CHRISTmas!

xo,
Danielle

savvycityfarmer said...

I'd say you nailed it!

thanks for the reminder!

love ya

Sheila Rumney said...

Love your heartfelt post. Yes, we all have a lot to be thankful.

Wishing you a wonderful Christmas.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful home. If it makes you happy, do it. Your parlor is so inviting. I could sit in there for hours just enjoying all the treasures you have tucked in here and there.
Have a Merry Christmas.